5 June, 2021
Slaw Dogs with Mustard Recipe
- For the coleslaw :
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of celery seed
- 1 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head cabbage, pitted, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 quarters)
- For hot dogs :
- 8 hot dogs, preferably with natural wrapping
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter
- mustard to serve
Make Cole Slaw: In a large bowl, combine vinegar, mayonnaise, salt, celery seed, dried mustard and black pepper. Stir until combined. Add the cabbage and mix until it is evenly coated with the sauce. Left to one side.
Cook the hot dogs: Pour 1/2 cup of water into a large skillet over medium heat. Add the hot dogs. Cook until hot dogs are well heated. If the water has not evaporated, pour in all the remaining water. Add a tablespoon of butter. When melted, wrap the hot dogs until they are covered in butter. Cook until the hot dogs are lightly browned on both sides, about 6 minutes total. Remove and set aside.
Add the remaining butter to the skillet and then the buns cut side down. Cook until golden, about 1 minute. Rotate the buns. Continue this process until the buns are lightly browned on all four sides, about 4 minutes total.
To serve, place a hot dog on each bun. Top them all with mustard and a few spoonfuls of coleslaw. Serve immediately.