29 May, 2021
Jalapeno Coleslaw Recipe
- For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup of buttermilk
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 3 spoons of sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice plus 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest of 3 large limes
- 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic (about 3 medium cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- For the coleslaw:
- 1 large green cabbage (about 3 1/2 pounds), finely chopped into a mandolin or by hand
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated in the large holes of a box grater
- 1 large jalapeño, stem, seeded and finely cut
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
For the Sauce: Beat the cream, buttermilk, vinegar, mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice and zest, cilantro, garlic, cumin and black pepper in a small bowl.
For the Slaw: Combine the cabbage, carrots and jalapeño in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and salt and mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to a large sieve and rinse thoroughly in cold running water.
Transfer vegetables to a salad centrifuge and centrifuge. Alternatively, transfer to a large, edged baking sheet lined with a triple layer of paper towels or a clean tea towel and dry the mixture with more towels. Return to a large bowl.
Pour sauce over vegetables and mix well. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper and/or sugar.