15 May, 2021
Spicy Coleslaw Recipe
A spicy cabbage salad somewhere between what you’d get at a Mexican taqueria and a Haitian-style pikliz, with habanero (or Scotch Bonnet) and allspice flavors. Great for sandwiches, tacos, topping burgers etc.
Note: for a spicier version, use a habanero pepper. For a milder version, use jalapeño, or no pepper.
Facts about recipes
- 2 quarts of finely chopped white or savoy cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 1 cup of finely grated carrots (about 1 half)
- 1 xícara de cebola roxa em fatias finas (cerca de 1 pequena)
- Sal kosher
- 3 xícaras de vinagre branco
- 1/4 xícara de açúcar
- 2 bagas de pimenta da Jamaica
- 1 pimenta habanero (ou Scotch Bonnet) ou pimenta jalapeño, dividida ao meio (ver nota)
Combine the cabbage, carrots, red onion and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt in a large bowl. Massage the vegetables with salt. Left to one side. Combine vinegar, sugar, allspice, pepper and 1 cup water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour the boiling liquid over the cabbage mixture and place a paper towel directly on the surface, pressing until saturated to keep the cabbage submerged. Let stand at room temperature until cool. Transfer to a closed container and refrigerate until ready to use. Slaw will last about 2 weeks.